Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Bespoke Designs


A few weeks ago I ventured into a local arts and crafts store in a quest to find yarn to knit a throw for my mum. While wandering the yarn aisles I stumbled across a display for a technique called needle felting. You could buy ready made appliques or create your own. They were used for hats, scarves, purses and a variety of other projects. I immediately started envisioning using the technique for my cards. I purchased a kit to make an applique that was already designed so I could get a feel for how to needle applique and from there I ran with my own designs. For months I have been trying to incorporate the flower I doodle into my designs. It has popped up on mugs I have decorated at pottery parties. I still plan to have a rubber stamp made and use it for screenprinting, but for right now it begged to be needle felted! I incorporated some hand sewn beads and the result is above for you to see. I'm currently working on some needle felted Christmas cards for Etsy.

No comments: