Sunday, July 24, 2011

Learning how to use a press


Backspace, delete, save and spell check are used with frequency whenever I type something on the computer. I admit I have taken them for granted. However, I now have a deeper appreciation for them since taking my first letter press class at the San Francisco Center for the Book. I had to put together two, short lines, yes two, and I was very conscious of having to focus on all the elements necessary to compose the lead type so it could be printed on a page! I had the opportunity to mix ink, ink up the press, and position the text for printing, which comprised of many different steps.
I am in awe of the men and women who did this for a living printing large amounts of text such as a newspaper or a book. I have to admit I really enjoyed learning this process and cannot wait to start incorporating letterpress into my designs.

1 comment:

Jack said...

Hey cool blog post....thanks for sharing such an nice stuff...Good work...Keep it up..:)

Invitations